Monday, May 16, 2016

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

"The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot is about Henrietta Lacks an African-American woman in the early 1950's who had cervical cancer and how the doctors used/use her cancer cells to this day.  Also it not just about her cells that were used but also her family.  If you didn't know in the 1950's medical testing was commonly done without people’s permission or even their knowledge which is very sad.  This is a very powerful book on how we sometimes forget about the people and their families that medical research have used to get where we are today with medicine.   Her life was not easy and is was not easy for her ancestors.  You would think that since her cells helped so much in the research of cancer that it benefited family but you would be wrong.  In reality her family didn't even know her cells were used for medical research until over 20 years later.  It’s a powerful and very interesting read.  Definitely one I keeping to read again.  I highly recommend it for anyone to read.  


I was given this book from Blogging for Books for my honest review and was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on my hubby

27 years ago was the summer before my senior year in high school and I went for a walk that would change my life forever.  I just wanted to ...