Friday, August 26, 2016

More Than Rivals by Ken Abraham

"More Than Rivals" by Ken Abraham is a book about 2 young men in the 60's and 70's one white (Eddie Sherlin) and one African American (Bill Ligon) coming together as friends at a basketball championship in Tennessee in 1970.  What was so important about his tournament well it was between two schools that were still mostly segregated with very big amounts of racism still lingering around in their portion of Tennessee.  This was a very interesting book and is one that I think should be read by a lot of people. We tend to forget that some areas racism was not that long ago and in some areas it is still happening to this day (I have seen it even in my little area of the world). We also forget that some of the racist adults from then are still alive and the children they raised to be racist are still alive.  Why do I say that well think about the 2 young men in this book are only in there 60's now and some of their classmates were raised to be racist.  Back to the book, I really enjoyed that Eddie Sherlin kept remember that there is no difference in race in God's eyes.  As Christian's we should be known as not racist people but sadly that is not always true.  Reading about their childhoods and lives that intersected at different times was very interesting.  I normally am not a big fan of reading about a sports even but the climax of this book the basketball tournament was very interesting and well written.   Now I will say that I am not sure about all the in depth conversations being remembered perfectly from a least 46 and more years ago.  But other than it still was a very good and powerful book to read and I highly recommend it.


I was given this book from Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group for my honest review and was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on my hubby

27 years ago was the summer before my senior year in high school and I went for a walk that would change my life forever.  I just wanted to ...