Thursday, May 21, 2015

From Good To Grace by Christine Hoover

"From Good To Grace, Letting Go of the Goodness Gospel" by Christine Hoover is about letting go of the idea that we have to be good after we are saved to stay saved.  No, its not a book about embracing the idea that we can sin as much as we want.  Its about letting go of the belief of if I study God's word more, volunteer more, do more and more that God will love me more.  Its not like that these things are wrong but are we doing them for man's praise or thinking that God will love us more or because we love God.  Its a heart issue.   I still enjoyed the book.  It was really a reminder for me to look at my heart am I doing stuff cause I love God or cause I think I have to do it.  I especially love this part " Believers can be cliquish according to their personal convictions and choices, unfriendly to outsiders, and critical of those who look or act differently than their chosen uniform cause.  The characteristics are ungodly, a blatant sign of people who have never come to understand God's grace and love for them personally.  They may know it intellectually but refuse it intimately and, therefore, cannot extend it to others."  That bit really it hit me as I have been at the receiving end of being excluded from believers cliques.  I really did love how she pointed out that God's grace isn't selective and it is unity not uniformity.   I also really enjoyed how she brought up the fact that some decisions don't affect the gospel at all for example public school or home school. The first and last part of this book for me were the best portion the middle seemed slow and scattered.  But I will still recommend this book as it was very helpful for me specially lately.

I was given this book from BakerBooks for my honest review and was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on my hubby

27 years ago was the summer before my senior year in high school and I went for a walk that would change my life forever.  I just wanted to ...