Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Intended For Evil by Les Sillars

"Intended For Evil" by Les Sillars is the story of a survivor of the Cambodian killing fields.  How do I describe a book so powerful and disturbing at the same time.  I remember in the 80's hearing on the news or reading in the newspaper a tiny bit about the killing fields and the war in Cambodia but did hear much about it.  This book should be required reading for anyone that is studying about Cambodia especially of the time of the Khmer Rouge rule.  The violence and the pain that Radha Manickam seen and had experienced during his time of this hell was so sad but powerful.  Why do I say powerful well he could have become hateful himself but he clung to Christ no matter what was happening to those he loved and others around him.  In midst of the nightmare he found love but not by his choice (you must read the book to understand that portion) and was able to become a refugee in America.  While in America he became Pastor and went back to Cambodia to help those that were left behind. I just can't say how much I recommend this book as it is powerful on how a person can cling to Christ even in the worst of situations.  I highly highly recommend it and as a homeschool mom I will be requiring it to be read by my son when he is in high school (I say high school because of the horrific things Radha describes that happened are not for the faint of heart but they do need to be told).

I was given this book from Baker Books for free and was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on my hubby

27 years ago was the summer before my senior year in high school and I went for a walk that would change my life forever.  I just wanted to ...