Monday, September 21, 2015

The Memory Weaver by Jane Kirkpatrick


"The Memory Weaver" by Jane Kirkpatrick is the author's latest historical novel this one about Eliza Spalding Warren who as a child was taken hostage by the Cayuse Indians during a massacre in 1847.  After the death of her mother when she was a teen we start read about Eliza's current life, her memories of being taken captive and her mother's recollection of the events that her mother wrote in a diary. I am a big fan of Jane Kirkpatrick she is an excellent write of historical fiction.   I love how she researches her main characters true history and intertwines it with her imagination so much so that I sometimes forget that I am reading a fictional novel.  This was yet another book that I just could not put down. The powerful story of Eliza Spalding Warren is such a good one that I am having a hard time writing this review as I don't want to give away much of the story.  Now I will admit I did not know anything of the Eliza's story so that for me made this book even more interesting.  I think this one would be very good book for any high school girls studying about Oregon and missionaries in the 1800's.  Eliza's quick decisions on marriage shows so much of what can happen in rash decisions both good and bad.  Life does not always turn out how we thought it would turn out when we are teenagers and this book really highlights that. I will say though if you are not very religious or a Christian this novel of Jane Kirkpatrick has the most Christianity in it than any other of her novels but that is understandable since a lot of it takes place around missionaries.  I highly recommend it as it is a very good novel that will intrigue you more on the story of Eliza Spalding Warren.

I was given this book from Revell a division of Baker Publishing Group for my honest review and not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on my hubby

27 years ago was the summer before my senior year in high school and I went for a walk that would change my life forever.  I just wanted to ...