Sunday, January 3, 2016

Under Our Skin by Benjamin Watson


"Under Our Skin" by Benjamin Watson is a powerful book on getting real about race in our world.  I was very interested in reading this book and I am very glad I was blessed to read it. The author does not hold back on different types of racism and even racism in the church.  Our society thinks as a whole that racism is a thing of the past or wacky weirdo but so not true its alive today. A lot of what the author wrote about did not surprise me even reminded me of some things I had learned about before in my youth. As a white girl in a small community in the pacific northwest you would not think I would know much about racism however I learned a lot about it from my mentor for about 3 weeks when I was 15.  My mentor was a former black panther party member from the 60's thru the 70's and he made a huge impression on me.  Anyway back to the book I really liked how he named the people that are living room racist which is people that say they are not racist but when they react to things they see on the media the show racist side.  This is just one of the racism sides I have seen a lot of in the area I live in but have also seen the other blatant racism also.  This book was so powerful and a reminder to me on what other people face everyday.  Also that I should think of the how other people may perceive things because they may have had bad experience with someone.   Also I really liked how the author pointed out that our American society is still unofficially segregated in some ways and one of the biggest ways is in the church.  This was a very powerful book to read and I highly recommend it.

I was given this book from Tyndale Publishers for my honest review and was not required to give a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on my hubby

27 years ago was the summer before my senior year in high school and I went for a walk that would change my life forever.  I just wanted to ...